Monday 15 April 2013

SSE course completed

As I mentioned in a previous blog post I have been taking the excellent Sumptuous Surface Embroidery course that is run by Sharon Boggon over at Pintangle.

The first SSE embroidery I made was monotone and after reading all your kind comments I decided to name it Dancing Hearts instead of the less attractive Wonky Hearts - although I still think I should not have used Backstitch for the outlines; on counted linen they make any curve wonky, or have I missed something?

Anyway, the second part of the course is based on colour and my theme was the end of the cherry season with the petals falling off the trees. Right now 'yaezakura', or cherry trees with double flowers, are turning the air and streets of Tokyo pink.

























A tree near my house makes the street look like this....




























My second SSE piece is this scene: blue sky, sunshine, leaves, petals, wind, pink concrete, ground, gutter, puddle of rain water...




























I've tried out many styles but it is only the bottom right corner that is really textured and sumptuous.
That must be the petals that have fallen into the gutter and got soaked in a puddle of water.

17 comments:

Claudia said...

What a beautiful embroidery, Queenie, Your pulled stitches are so even. I like the cherry blossoms and of course the relief like part. Wonderful border stitches! So much to discover!

Debbie said...

This is amazing, Carin! I love the variety in the lower right corner. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

Julie Fukuda said...

Congratulations! A very nice finish, indeed.

margaret said...

Queenie this is a delightful piece so much to see and admire, sumptuous is spot on for the corner, lovely

Queeniepatch said...

I haven't done pulled stitches since I was in school, some hundred years ago, so this was great fun to try again. If my eyes can take the strain I'd like to do more.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Debbie. Yes, it was fun, but somewhat time consuming, ahem!

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Julie. I had little time for other textile work during this course but it was worth keeping the pace.

Queeniepatch said...

Margaret, thank you for your comment. Yes, there is a bit 'much' to see, a sampler rather than a picture, I would say.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea you have put together, the bottom corner is my favourite it is so interesting to look at with all the different stitches and textures.

Chris(craft) and Dave(photos) Richards said...

Such beautiful work Queenie.....I am still learning after 20 odd years.....IS'NT it wonderful to have a hobby that is so addictive....So much admiration for your beautiful pieces !
Hugs
Chris Richards
xxx

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you, Chris. It is such an honour to win acclaim from a great needlewoman like you. Yes, I can't imagine a day without taking at least a few stitches, so it is addictive. Sharon's various projects and enthusiasm as well as all the support and cheer from fellow bloggers have energized me so much.
All the best!
Queenie

Queeniepatch said...

Hi Susan! Thanks you for your kind comment. The stitches in the bottom corner are what Sumptuous Surface Embroidery is supposed to be, mixed with canvas work, pulled or drawn work and layering and anything you can think of.

Annet said...

This is gorgeous, Queenie! I like the different styles in your piece, it's great to see so many different stitches!

Queeniepatch said...

It turned into a 'sampler' by chance, but it will bring back lots of memories, and inspiration, as time goes on. Also I now have another decoration for the cherry season!

carorose said...

That so speaks of 'place', just lovely.

latha said...

Great work Queenie!! So many stitches done perfectly. Love the border and stitches used for it. Dont know about sumptuous embroidery but like the corner part.Well done!!

Lis Harwood said...

This piece of work sums up the end of the sakura season, with the fallen petals covering every surface. It reminds me of seeing the lake in one of the Tokyo gardens I visited last year, it was encrusted with petals.